Where does the District funding come from?

Funding for the District comes from a land assessment of $0.05 per acre and a water assessment of $2.00 per acre-foot authorized under a water right. If the water user does not use the entire acre-feet authorized, they may file a verified claim with the District no later than April 1st of each year.

Who needs a water right?

Anyone that withdrawals water, other than for domestic use, is required to have a permit.

The Kansas Water Appropriation Act protects people's rights to use water and also protects the state's supply of groundwater and surface water for future use. Good water conservation should be practiced by all water users.

Cathodic Protection FAQs

When do I need to submit an application?

A completed application form must be submitted at least 60 days prior to planned construction.

When should I contact the GMD before construction?

The District requires that we receive at least 72 hours notice prior to beginning construction.

What type of casing material is required for a cased borehole?

The surface casing material must be non-metallic and must be approved for water well use.

What size of casing is required for a cased cathodic borehole?

The District requires the surface casing to have a standard dimension ration (SDR) of at least 21. The SDR is calculated by dividing the casing ourside diameter (OD) by its minimum wall thickness (MWT). A common problem found on many applications is providing a general casing OD instead of the actual OD. This error may provide an SDR that is not acceptable by the District.

How deep into bedrock does the surface casing need to be set?

The surface casing must be set at least 20 feet into shale or impermeable bedrock.

How can I determine the depth to bedrock and the depth to water to complete my application?

The Kansas Geological Survey (KGS) maintains a number of very useful web pages devoted to the water resources of Kansas, such as WIZARD, and WWC5, that can provide depths to water and bedrock. Also available are county bulletins that provide detailed descriptions of the hydrogeology of the District.

Does a representative for the GMD need to be present during construction?

Yes. A District representative is required to be present to ensure that approved materials are used during construction, and to ensure that boreholes are set into an approved geologic formation.

Can grouting/conducting materials not approved by the NSF be used to complete a cathodic borehole?

No, not without a specific waiver. The Big Bend, High Plains Aquifer is a valuable resource to all the people within the District. Use of non-approved materials may jeopardize the integrity of the aquifer.

Do I need to submit an application for surface pit?

If an excavated drilling pit is to be used in the place of an above ground or portable pit, an application for surface pit needs to be supplied with the proper application form.

Are there any forms other than the application form that need to be submitted?

Yes. The District requires:

  • A construction plan that illustrates the information contained in Form CP-10 or CP-15.
  • A plat map describing the area in which the work will be completed (Form CP-20).
  • Copies of all applicable forms from KCC (KSONA-1, AC-01, CDP-1) and KDHE (WWC5).
  • The District also requires the submission of the GMD #5 Well Completion (As Built) Plan, and associated paperwork outlined in this plan, upon completion of the cathodic borehole.